Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Various and sundry

In case anyone's been curious, I have been busy with scribal stuff, but my recipient wants to be surprised, so I've been resisting the urge to post progress pictures of my work. It's another Black Hours piece and it's coming together nicely, though. I think I'll share one pic to give you an idea:



That's from almost a month ago. I had never made a letter out of flowers and foliage before, so it was an interesting challenge. 

The piece shouldn't really have taken so long to finish, but I ran into a problem when I made a mistake trying to shade a figure in the border. She's supposed to be a reasonable looking mermaid, and instead she came out looking like she had a hairy chest because I messed up with the brush strokes... I got advice for how to fix her, but I procrastinated a couple of weeks before climbing back into the metaphorical saddle and actually fixing her. 

Fortunately she looks much better now. I seem to have deleted my "before" picture, or I'd show you that.

So. I've been doing some calligraphy, and I have two more pieces in my queue once this one is done, but I can't show you anything quite yet. 

In other news, I've resurrected an office aquarium that I used to have on my desk at my last job... fourteen years ago... and set it up on my desk at my new job! I'm still waiting for it to settle and the plants I bought to root into the soil before I add any fish, but there are a few snails in there already. Right now it looks like this: 



Not too fancy, but hopefully pretty. I already find myself just watching how the plants move in the water flow, even without any fish, even I'm between tasks at work. 

Hope you all are well. Life here is pretty good. Cheers! 


No comments:

Post a Comment