Thursday, December 25, 2008

Life offline, day 3

It's Christmas.  My family are all here to keep me distracted, and in a little bit we'll be traveling up to my parents' for Family Christmas Part A.  Their internet connection is so slow that it makes you want to get out and push.

After that, it will be a two-day trip down south to the husband's parents, for Family Christmas Part B.  It actually is hosted, and we sleep at, his youngest sister's house – and they are tech junkies.  They have a really great connection, but too many people around for me to go online and be polite at the same time.

Maybe they'll let me post here once people are starting to go to bed.

***

Embroidery – having fun hunting through my sources for pictures of women in medieval dress.  The big thing I'm looking for is the right way to show the folds and wrinkles in the dresses – it's been a long while since I've drawn people, and I'd forgotten how to avoid making the clothing neither a: look like paper or tinfoil, nor b: defy the laws of physics.  My next step will probably be to do something like a contour drawing, to figure out where the ups and downs (and ins and outs) of the folds belong.

I'm focusing on that because the folds will also require shading, and I'll need to know where to put the light vs. dark colors once I sit down with the needle to do the thing.

In embroidery, this translates to lots of different colors of thread.  Oh no, I may have to buy more colors, oh, the suffering… yeah.  I typically need to be restrained physically anytime I'm near an embroidery aisle in the local craft stores.  Something about the rows and rows of pretty colors all arranged harmoniously and stuff just draws me in, pretty much exactly like a hummingbird to a flower.

Time to play online games with my  kid.  Happy Winter Festival of Your Choice, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment