Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Henna for the Holidays

We travel to South Carolina once a year to visit my in-laws for the holidays.  There are traditional meals, presents, much yelling (usually the happy kind – there are a lot of kids), and this year, there was henna.

My niece Isla had gotten henna from me before, during summertime visits; I thought it might be nice to offer to work on her, and on my other niece and sisters-in-law who didn't get the opportunity to visit during the rest of the year.

I had FUN.

Isla Henna

This took about an hour, I think – I was having such a good time I didn't keep track – and is entirely freehand.  The greener areas are still wet, having been freshly applied only a moment before this photo was taken.  The nearly-black color is where the paste has already dried.  Isla let me finish by taping the design in place with medical tape, which helps keep the paste in place, prevents smudging and flaking, and allows the design to "soak in" for as long as possible.  Considering that the back is relatively thin-skinned, she got very good color as a result.

I have a baby shower coming up in just a couple of weeks, and I can't wait.  If you're visiting my blog thanks to the hostess's email, welcome!  I have a couple of "brochures" available – check my post categories to easily find them – and if you have any questions, feel free to email or call me.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment