Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Me Write Good

So one of the things I don't talk about on this blog is my love for fan fiction.  It's not the reading that is the big deal - who cares if I read amateur fiction written by fans of various shows, movies, or books? - it's the fact that I occasionally write it, too.

I can show you all my artwork, the henna, and pretty pictures till the cows come home and not break a sweat.  But writing?  Something about sharing that gives me a case of the heebie-jeebies like no other.  Maybe because I still care what people think about the way my mind works.  Maybe because I'm convinced that people would think I'm disturbed if they could really see what goes on in here.

But darn it, I want to at least share this much with somebody:  I started writing a story in early December 2011, and finished it today.  If I have the word count right, it is just shy of 91,000 words - which means I can now honestly say that I have written a novel.  (Your average paperback comes in around 100,000 words.  I'm just about a chapter shy of that, so well within the average range.)

There.  I'm a novelist.  I wrote a novel.  And I like how it came out, and so do approximately 500 readers who also like fan fiction, and happen to have pretty high standards.

Personally I think that's pretty darn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment