Friday, January 13, 2017

Time for the blues

Well, just one blue actually; ultramarine, which in period was worth more than gold and was often reserved for the purpose of painting the Virgin Mary's robes. It was made from lapis lazuli in an extremely labor-intensive process that took weeks. Nowadays you can get it out of a lab, with no impurities, for pennies.

And it looks like this:





I'm over half done, but the rest is going to be detailed at a level I'm not sure I have the focus to manage today. I've been at the blue for... I dunno, a few hours already. It's time to do something else.



(Don't drink that.)

Thanks to everyone who has been following along, however few of you there may be. I'm enjoying showing this work to you, and getting back to blogging in general. It's been a while since I felt like I had anything of value to say to the world.
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment