Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Various and sundry

I have done so much in the past year that I've forgotten to blog about (or been too inconvenienced, or whatever), I hardly know where to start to cover it all. I mostly want to boast about the calligraphy I've done since my "finishing touches" post from back in January. You see, the recipient of that work was so pleased with what I did that they decided to thank me with a gift of art supplies.

MANY art supplies. EXPENSIVE art supplies.

It's been a year and I'm still flabbergasted, and grateful every time I open my new tool chest and pull out one of my new tubes of really high-quality paint. Friends, I am here to tell you that with art supplies, you truly do get what you pay for, and good paint is worth its weight in gold. I couldn't believe how handicapped I'd been just by having poor supplies in the past and not realizing how poor they were.

Just as an example, look at the white work in the detail photos from the previous post. See how translucent it is? You can see through it in places, and getting good coverage might mean doing the same step two or three times to get enough paint to stick; and of course every repetition is another chance for a mistake or an accident to happen.

No more. I have got some stuff called Doc Martin's Bleed-Proof White, and holy goldfish does it cover.

....annnnd, I'm trying to get my photos off my phone and onto my computer so I can include them in this post, and of course they're not coming. Here's one, though:


Text is just "Gloris in excelsis deo", "Glory to God in the highest". But zoom in, if it will let you, and LOOK at the white and how crisp it is on this piece. Bleed Proof White. I'm never going back to anything else. And the quantity I got, just a one-ounce jar I think (?), should last me for over a decade, easily.

If I can get my photos off my phone and into my blog more easily, I will be able to post more often. This is something I did early last year for a Catholic supply store that provides books, figurines, rosaries, that kind of thing. The owner thought her clients might like something like this.

If you like my work, considering "buying me a coffee" with the button to the right of this post.

Coming up, hopefully, a few pictures of the weaving I started teaching myself last year and the year prior. I can't believe I have no pictures of it here on this blog! Weird.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment