Friday, March 15, 2019

New developments

If you've been following the blog recently, you may have gotten used to me updating every couple of days as I work on the "County scroll" that is my latest scribal assignment for the SCA. If that's the case, you've probably also noticed that I haven't updated in a few days. That's because I haven't worked on the scroll since this past weekend... and that is because I got sidetracked by another project that I'm getting more and more excited about.

The Art Museum of Greater Lafayette offers classes to the wider community, and as of yesterday, I've submitted a proposal to present a once-a-month, single-session, three-hour workshop on basic calligraphy and illumination. Their summer session starts in May, and if there's enough demand, I'll be presenting the workshop in May, June, July, and August. I've spent the past week preparing that workshop (instead of gilding), and an additional course which I may teach in the fall, if there is enough demand.

The workshop itself is pretty straightforward; participants will learn the basics of calligraphy and one alphabet, select a quotation they like (I'll be supplying quotes from Walt Whitman, but they can choose anything they want), and write that on a bookmark. Then they'll paint and decorate the first initial of the quote, for an introduction to illumination. The class will be open to anyone ages 13 and up, with a minimum class size of three and a max of ten, so that I can be sure I'm able to devote my attention to everyone who needs it.

Here's an example of the alphabet, and the illumination style we'll be looking at:


And don't worry, we will be using gold paint instead of actual gilding supplies, and high-quality calligraphy markers rather than dip pens or quills. This is an introductory workshop, after all! No grades, no pressure, just hopefully a good time and a little bit of learning.

I'm not a professional, certified teacher; I didn't go to college for an education degree. But I do at least know enough about this topic, and have enough experience with public speaking and demonstrating in multiple disciplines, that I should be able to keep the workshop engaging and accessible for everyone.

I know at least one person who has promised to sign up, which is also exciting! Here's hoping I get more. 

As for the county scroll, I'll be back to that this weekend, no worries. 

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment