Friday, March 8, 2019

County scroll, part 12

Another short day today, working on the raised gilding on the left side border around the figure and its clothing. Because of all the other metal already laid down, I'm having to work in stages,  masking off areas and doing them one at a time.

The process is still the same, though: paint sticky, let sticky dry, apply gold, brush away excess... repair bare spots...

I'm annoyed with how many bare spots I keep ending up with, although today looked better. I keep going for shorter and shorter drying times and it seems like I might almost have the right timing worked out soon. 

Here's the mask I built for today's section of gilding. I removed it to paint down the adhesive...

Then masked it off again to gild. I don't actually have photos of that step. 

But here it is, gilded and with the bare patches already repaired: 

The gold looks so cool next to the white and the copper. I'm getting sick of gilding, but I'm also getting excited to see it all done. 

And that was it for today! Total time probably three hours, I think, including time to let the adhesive dry.

As always, questions and comments are welcome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment