Blog Archive

Monday, January 16, 2017

More at Ridiculous Scale

It's time for detail work on the scroll, and also time for me to procrastinate on the really hard parts in the battle scene, so I've been doing the white work on the initials first. All the initials. Even the tiny ones.





Not sure if it shows up as well in the second image.

Here's one of the less tiny initials, which turned out quite nicely in my opinion.



In other news, I've been asked to speak at a local school that is doing a unit on the Middle Ages, and possibly demonstrate my artwork for them. That will be fun, if it comes together. We're still in the planning stages right now, but I'll keep you posted.

posted from Bloggeroid

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Eleven days of scribal madness

Holy cow, I started this thing on the 4th?

Is been so fun watching the piece come together, from a blank piece of paper through pencil sketches to the current incarnation:



The scroll, with all the surrounding chaos that makes up my current work space.

I finished the blue today, laid in the green, and then got bored and decided to add all the ridiculous detail to the two main capitals and finish them. They're might be a smidgen of shading to add to either of them, but right now I'm really pleased with how they've turned out. Here's one:




Compare the difference that just a really fine outline makes to the overall look over the initial.

I've got another capital on there that I'm holding off on sharing for a bit. I want the recipient to still have some surprises left when they actually get the finished piece.

Mostly today I worked in "Ridiculous Scale", which is a bit like Ludicrous Speed except for where it's completely not. Here's a closeup to give you an idea:



And since someone asked, here are my tools, to give you an idea of how small I'm able to work.



From left to right, my pencil, big brush (size 4 round), an old size 0 that is too scruffy for details but makes a good mixing brush, and something that claims to be a size 0 but I'm not sure i believe it given how fine it goes. Hairline strokes. Lovely, as long as the paint consistency is right.

Oh, and the paint consistency was great today: this dragon is roughly 3/4 inch long from front paw to tail tip.



Hopefully I will be able to post this without any problems. That's a lot of images for one post from my phone.
posted from Bloggeroid

Friday, January 13, 2017

Time for the blues

Well, just one blue actually; ultramarine, which in period was worth more than gold and was often reserved for the purpose of painting the Virgin Mary's robes. It was made from lapis lazuli in an extremely labor-intensive process that took weeks. Nowadays you can get it out of a lab, with no impurities, for pennies.

And it looks like this:





I'm over half done, but the rest is going to be detailed at a level I'm not sure I have the focus to manage today. I've been at the blue for... I dunno, a few hours already. It's time to do something else.



(Don't drink that.)

Thanks to everyone who has been following along, however few of you there may be. I'm enjoying showing this work to you, and getting back to blogging in general. It's been a while since I felt like I had anything of value to say to the world.

posted from Bloggeroid

Thursday, January 12, 2017

I'm getting tired of red

I knew this would happen, but I also know that it's necessary. I'm sure that when the time comes I'll also get sick of blue, but for now it's all red all the time. On the other hand, the details are looking great!



Sorry about the image quality. My only digital camera is my phone, and zooming in on anything with any camera means you need more light than I happened to have.

Here's where we're at so far: left side...



And right.


posted from Bloggeroid

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Red, red, red

Today's session was almost all about the color red, not counting the bit of other color I used on the figures in the right hand miniature and the water on both sides.





The vines that make up the borders will alienate red and blue, with alternating leaves as well, which is why they look a little strange at the moment.

About two hours of work went into diapering one miniature, and I still have the blue and green to go.



Painting little squares for fun, whee! And these are four times larger than the ones that make up the background of the big initials.



Yeah, those are going to be fun. Thank goodness I picked up some new brushes today.

posted from Bloggeroid