Sunday, March 10, 2019

County scroll, part 13

This weekend didn't allow me to gild as much as I could have (but the two hour trip for good coney dogs was worth it), but I still made good progress today on the yellow gold border. I'm beginning to run out of things to say on the topic, though; I mean, there are only so many ways to talk you through the process. Still, here are some pictures. 

Adhesive painted down. I'm still figuring out the best drying time for this stuff. I'm working with such small amounts at a time that the instructions to let it sit for a few hours just don't seem to be right at all. I keep ending up with bare spots to repair, like this: 

... and that was with only a half hour drying time. Still, the repairs are easy enough; I just wish I didn't have to take that step every single time. 

Main gold finished, adhesive painted in for the dragon at the bottom. 

The top dragon is silver (white gold), but this one will be part of the kingdom seal that makes the scroll official, so I thought yellow gold would look better. Also the background of the seal is white, and yellow gold will give better contrast. 

This time, I barely let the adhesive sit five minutes before coming back to lay the gold down, and it went much better. There were still a few bare patches, but they were much easier to deal with.

And finally, here's the entire piece so far:

I anticipate the rest of the gold going down much more easily, since it will all be straight lines and much of it will only have another metal touching it on one side, rather than being surrounded. But that will have to wait till Wednesday, since Monday and Tuesday are music days! As much as I enjoy gilding, I'm definitely looking forward to moving on to the next step. 

Thanks for your comments and questions! 

2 comments:

  1. I have nothing to help except to tell you gilding is always a learning experience and a PITA. I enjoy watching your process. Remembering to take the pictures and getting good ones to blog takes planning and effort. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually pretty good with gilding, but then I usually set myself up to succeed with REALLY STICKY adhesive, patent leaf, and so on. Using a different adhesive, occasionally loose leaf, and trying to cut corners, wellllll, doesn't always work so good.

      I'm glad you're enjoying the process, even with he hiccups along the way. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete