Wednesday, September 23, 2020

A commission for a friend

I was busy enough teaching online classes this summer that I forgot to update my blog. I was also posting to other sites and social media locations, so unfortunately I treated this space as a lower priority. Let's fix that. 

Earlier in the year I was approached by a lady who wanted to commission me to make four matching cards for herself and three lifelong friends of hers. The cards would have their names, a bird associated with each name, and the word "Love" in the middle. 

Experiments with the treatment of "love"

After that it was time to cut my cards to size and lay them out. Centering text is always a challenge for me, but I got it right eventually. Thank goodness for mockups. 

The cards, all laid out

Then it was time to actually write the words: probably the easiest calligraphy assignment I've ever had, this commission was going to be ALL about the illumination.


After that, it was time to pencil in all the illustration; the challenge here was that once I had one card done, I couldn't simply copy it for the others. If you look closely, you'll note that the names on the cards above "rotate", which means that the birds associated with each name also rotate and are in a different corner on each card.



What I ended up doing was laying out one card completely, then since the ground I used here was translucent, I either traced the birds directly, or flipped the card over and traced the reverse side to get the "backwards" version of the bird. The picture below shows all the cards laid out finally, as well as my cluttered workspace and a bit of the photocopied manuscript page I used for inspiration.




I had just gotten some new gilding adhesives -- a gesso for raised gilding, as well as a flat size -- and I couldn't wait to try them out. You saw the results in my previous post, but those leaves and dots were much larger than what I ended up needing for this commission.


Because I was feeling impatient, there were places where the gesso didn't go down as smoothly as it could have on this first card, but I was able to correct that for the second one. The only trouble I really found was that raised gilding is a slow process no matter what you do, and the repetition of so much gilding on four cards really got to me. 





Problems with gilding are not an issue if you're not in a hurry, but they're still annoying. And this was with a really good gesso that ordinarily worked very well.

The first card, halfway through gilding

Second card, gilding almost complete

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy gilding, but this was a LOT of gold. And a lot of repetition.

So I only did two cards with the gesso, and the latter two cards were done with flat size. MUCH faster, and a cure for the procrastination that was plaguing me throughout this project.

If you look closely you can see the light shining on the flat size, here on the third card

Where the gesso took anywhere between a few hours and overnight to cure and be ready to work with, the flat size was ready in about ten minutes. It also didn't require the extra step of breathing to "activate" the gesso so that it would be tacky enough to hold the gold. Not to sound like an advertisement or anything, but "Jerry Tresser's Pink Stuff" is a really great material to work with. The gold stayed put and didn't need a second application to cover any bare spots.

A closeup of the hawk in one corner of the third card

You know how I love my before and after pictures of gilding...


After the mess is cleared away and it's all sharp and crisp

The flat gilding is always a different look from the raised, but it's so much easier to work with when you don't want to take forever.


Anyway, after I finally finished gilding all four cards, it was time to start painting! These pieces were a little weird in that they are very light on calligraphy and actual painting, and very very heavy on gilding and then ink/outlining. You'll see in a minute, here...


Really not a lot at all, but just enough color to give accent to the piece.

A closeup of one of my owls, just to give an idea of the fine brush strokes needed

A closeup of my first dove, which I was quite proud of

Learning experience time: I'm not someone who ordinarily does a lot of shading or paint-mixing when I do illuminations. I prefer to work with a simple, limited palette and not have to blend anything, because I either don't get enough contrast between my high, mid, and low tones, OR I don't mix enough of a particular color and have to keep remixing it, and never getting the color quite right. It's a personal hurdle in my development that I just... need to work on, whether I like it or not, if I want to move forward as an artist.

So for this piece, I actually did mix and blend and play with colors, and while I still ran out of color here and there, I was actually pretty happy with how the various birds came out, starting with this dove.

After laying in color, there was room for a little bit of whitework on each "LOVE" in the center of the page:


And then it was time to outline. Lots and lots of outlining. I used a brush and paint for this, rather than ink, because the surface was being resistant again, similar to un-pounced vellum. I'm a bit cranky about this. I know a lot of people who love to work with pergamenata, but I am not one of them. If it's paper, it should behave like paper and not require special preparation to use. If it's animal-skin vellum, I expect that to be a necessary step. I do not expect that to be the case for something that is essentially a fancy paper. Yes, I know, this is me being contrary. Yes, I know I need to get over it. But man, having the painting take three times as long as it should because I had to keep going over each line two or three or MORE times, to get the line to show up smoothly and not ragged, was really, really irritating.


Even with the difficulties, look at what an immense difference the outlining and "inking" makes compared to the relative openness of the left half of the card. The density of the vine work really makes itself known and the border finally distinguishes itself from the open space in the middle with the text.

The first finished card

This is one of the raised-gilding pages, so you can see the glimmer of the three-dimensional gold in the bottom left corner, where my hand has created a little bit of shadow on the page.

After that, it's just... more of the same: procrastinate, paint, procrastinate more, outline, admire the finished result, move on to the next card...


Closeup of one of the hawks

Closeup of a cardinal


Here we are with three of the cards done...


Third card

Closeup of another owl, and a look at the different look the flat gilding has compared to the raised

And finally, at long last, all four cards were finished, taken off the table, and laid out for this pretty picture.


I really need to go to the print shop and get some of these run off to try and fill in my new portfolio. The old one of course was destroyed, but I still have a number of pictures of my older work. I want to get those reprinted sometime so I can have something to show off.

Closeup of one of the cardinals

And that's pretty much it! I took a LOT of pictures of this project, so if anyone wants to see more shots of various hawks, owls, cardinals or doves, or a closer look at the white work on each "LOVE", just let me know. But for now, this post is complete! The project took most of the spring and summer to complete, thanks to my procrastination and a few other factors, but it was completed and sent to the client on September 1 and she tells me she really loved them. She's going to have them framed and delivered as gifts to three of her friends, and keep the fourth for herself.

I've been busier than just this over the summer, I promise, and in the next couple of weeks I hope to post a little more of what I've been up to. In the meantime, take care, one and all, and leave a comment if you liked what you saw here. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Heather. Diane gave me my framed card today. It is exquisite! I appreciate all work & artistry that went in to such a beautiful piece. Lyn "The Owl"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! It means a lot to me to know that you've seen this, and even more that you like the piece!

      Delete